1 of 2
LM
Posted: 18 February 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2009-06-08

Never saw the actual cover for this thing till now.
http://www.recklesscountrysoul.com/2007/10/17/look-for-sharp-edges-so-no-one-gets-hurt/

Is that Dan top right?  And possibly Matt second from the left?

Gotta love it!
E

Posted: 18 February 2010 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Champion
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2009-07-26

i have never, ever, ever heard of this band. Awesome.

Posted: 19 February 2010 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-21

I had heard about this early group but I had never heard the music.

You know, the articles say that Matt is the lead singer but I just can’t believe that it’s his voice on some of the songs.  I thought I would always be able to pick out Matt singing but I’m struggling to make the connection on a couple of these tracks.

Anyway, noted below is where I hear what I’ll call, “Matt’s voice of the future years”:

‘Cold Days’
I just can’t believe that this is Matt singing lead.  However, if you listen closely during the mid-song harmonies (i.e. singing “hard” and “yard”), you clearly hear the Matt low voice carry just an extra half second longer than the others.

‘Picture of a Girl’
Definitely a mid-80s sound but a good tune.  I’m trying to remember who I think Matt sounds like in this one.  I wish I had my CDs in front of me.  I’m thinking maybe Modern English or early Squeeze.  Anyway, I’m still shocked that Matt ever sounded this way.  Towards the end of the song he sounds more like he does in future years.  This song also reminds me a little bit of ‘Washington Bridge’ from “Applehead Man” 

‘Rebecca’
I know Matt is singing lead.  However, you can clearly hear Matt’s future rocking voice towards the end as members take turns repeating the “Oh Rebecca, baby doll inspector” line.  I know the main article referred to “weird, lyrical obsessions” but I enjoyed the lyrics of this song and I’m reminded of some of the quirky TS tunes that I still crave today!  By the way, I love one of Dan’s “Oh Rebecca” howls about 2/3 of the way through the song.

‘Kiss Away the Tears’
So, clearly, a young Matt is singing lead on this one.  But, wow; this song is like a precursor to ‘Reception’!  Some riffs and lyrical hooks are clearly the seeds for what later developed on “Are you Shakespearienced”

Thanks Eric!  What an absolutely terrific find.

Cheerio,
Robbie V.

Posted: 19 February 2010 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-02-03

a wonderful find indeed

Posted: 19 February 2010 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2009-06-12

That’s the find of the forum so far.  I can’t wait to hear these tunes.

Posted: 19 February 2010 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2089
Joined  2009-06-08

Ha….these are really great….and what a perfect 80’s sound…...!

What a terrific find!!!! 

Rebecca baby-doll inspector…where do these great characters come from!!!

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 19 February 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1295
Joined  2009-06-15

Daniel D Wilson ‘83 and Matthew R Wilson ‘85.

This is great.

Regarding Matt’s voice….it doesn’t sound that far off from “She Can Stop the Winter” from AH.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 19 February 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-21
drneau - 19 February 2010 01:40 PM

Regarding Matt’s voice….it doesn’t sound that far off from “She Can Stop the Winter” from AH.

Good call; I agree.  I still struggle to hear Matt’s voice in some places and I probably listened to all of the songs a half dozen times throughout the day.

I’ve been in kind of a daze today.  Either too many alt biers last night, this post leading to too many 80’s flashbacks or (most likely) a combination of both.

I’m guessing Matt and Dan laugh when they think back to these days but it’s a gold mine for fans into early stylings of TS development.  I love all of the SN reviews, latest Current 89.3 streamings and youtubery but this is truly a fabulous find.  Super big cheers to Eric!

drneau - 19 February 2010 01:40 PM

Daniel D Wilson ‘83 and Matthew R Wilson ‘85.

This totally made me chuckle.  Fine and proper form.  Nothing at all like silk shirts, beads, baubles and pearls!

Sincerely yours,
Robert J VE ‘86

P.S. I expect every one of these LM ditties to be resurrected at the Pantages on Friday, 26-March!

Posted: 19 February 2010 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-08

..it’s weird….Rebecca Baby-Doll inspector is one of those songs that you don’t really think too much of…and then you can’t help but find yourself singing along and then you have to keep listening…it’s krazy!

Wasn’t there a weird little movie about a toy factory? I can’t think of exactly what it is…but I be Rebecca worked there…

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 20 February 2010 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2009-08-02

Wow - that is a really impressive piece of investigative reporting. What an awesome find! Nice job, Eric!

Posted: 20 February 2010 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-15

So where does this fall chronologically with E Brown?

Signature 

Jeff

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Posted: 20 February 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2009-06-12

Wow.  Finally got to hear this stuff.  Rebecca is really nice. 
At first blush, this sounds a lot like Applehead Man era Trip to me.  Actually, Applehead Man era Trip Shakespeare with a heavy Hasty Pudding Theatricals influence.  I wonder if Matt was involved with the Theatricals.  Seems like such a venture could have agreed with him.

Posted: 20 February 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-08

The E.Brown albums are dated 1982 and 1984 in Minneapolis…so I would assume that Love Monsters was the college/Harvard band and E. Brown was the hometown band…until Matt left Harvard w/ Elaine to do the full-time band thing w/ Matt…..if he was supposed to graduated in 85…he probably left in 1984-ish sometime….

Good thing for us he dropped-out or there might be no Trip….smile

I’m thinking I should bring the E. Brown albums w/ me to Minneapolis and hand them over on a temporary basis to someone who can convert them to digital files….smile anyone?

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 20 February 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-15
Kara - 20 February 2010 09:13 AM

I’m thinking I should bring the E. Brown albums w/ me to Minneapolis and hand them over on a temporary basis to someone who can convert them to digital files….smile anyone?

You could probably find a shop within 20 miles of your house that would do it while you wait.

Signature 

Jeff

Posted: 20 February 2010 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-21

Apparently, Matt is on to us…

http://thetwilighthours.com/index.php/news/comments/our_most_vulnerable_citizens/

Let him know that you are excited to exploit the shallow values of teenagers!

P.S.  Kara, I will check whether any of my friends in Minneapolis could digitize the E Brown albums for us.  Are you also headed to Chicago on Saturday?  If I can get back to the US then I will probably try to go to both shows.  I definitely have friends in the windy city that could accommodate converting an album.  However, I’d probably go with Jeff’s suggestion and try to convert them locally.  Way less risk.  But wait until you’re employed again!

P.P.S.  I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that I’m 6-9 hours ahead of you all at a coffeeshop in the Netherlands…  I feel a rambling phase coming on.  Instead, I think I’ll play a game of ‘Sorry’ with the guys at the table next to me…

Posted: 20 February 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-08

Yes, I will first find some sort of outfit to convert these albums…I will do it this week as there is nothing of any importance on my schedule…in fact it’s basically empty….it’s fortunate that we can all hear these Love Monsters songs…..I must confess in my need to feel productive I’ve been on an organization/clean-out mode and I unearthed a cd of these 4 Love Monsters songs on them that someone had sent to me….I cannot remember at all where I could’ve gotten the cd…...I only found the cd last week and forgot about it until this topic opened up….

Also…I’ve made the decision to go back to school for my Master’s degree…part-time nights and weekends starting in the fall…hopefully due to my advanced age and experience I will not have to take the GRE’s, but if I do, then I have plenty of time to study….being laid-off 3 times in the same profession sucks and I’m getting to old to monkey around….I hope I’m not the oldest one in class….crap….

I believe Matt is joyous of the Love Monsters un-earthing as he linked to the topic 3 times….smile

...oh, and Robbie…please feel free to ramble…

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

1 of 2

‹‹ Yes      Favorite Matt Lyrics ››