1 of 2
How about the First Show / Record you heard of Trip Shakespeare
Posted: 14 May 2010 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2089
Joined  2009-06-08

Tell me what struck you so hard when you first saw/heard them….or I should say….do you have any memories of “being created” by Trip Shakespeare?

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2009-08-01

I was 14. Napster was still sorta new. It was still free. I didnt know many bands and i was lookin for “new” music. Semisonic had been my favorite band a couple years before and I decided to try trip shakespeare. I searched and what came up???! The live Turtledove performance from some mountain or something where Matt says everyone has to stop stage diving. I got a bunch more, but forgot about them for a year or two while i filled my brain up with as many other artists as i could. But everytime i listened to trip shakeapeare i liked it even more. I didnt fully LOVE trip shakespeare till i was 18 or so. I still think its strange. Trip Shakespeare is so strange.

Thats my boring story. No glorious live “born again” story for ya.

Signature 

“Heisenberg says relax!!”

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-01

Its funny…for a long time i thought Dan was singing on aallll the songs. I didnt know his brother sounded so similar. I thought it was just his young voice.

I was pretty lucky that the first songs were stuff like turtledove live, toolmaster live, the lake, snow days. What if i had downloaded “gone gone gone” or “late”?? Hah! I wouldnt be here to bug you guys!!

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-11-30

My friend Dave, who you have seen doing his crazed dancing at the Brooklyn TH shows, and I were driving across the U.S. to live in San Francisco for a while after college in 1991.  As we cruised through the rockies, Dave had his tape of ATU spitting out “You know I travel over mountains…” and it was the perfect complement to the drive.  Once we were in San Fran, I recall a time we were driving from Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County back to the city after a hike and he was again playing his tape of ATU and “The Slacks” was on and I became further intrigued.  Dave then got Lulu shorty afterwards and we went to see the band at Slim’s in San Francisco in late 1991.  I remember that Jerry Garcia and David Grisman were also playing in town that night and a Dead head passed us on the long line to get into Slim’s and was practically criticizing us all for going to a show that was not Jerry Garcia!  That, alas, was the only time I saw Trip Shakespeare and at that time I had only begun to get into them so I did not even appreciate it nearly as much as I would have about 6 months later at which point I had really given most of their albums a listen.

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-01

I resent the dead head reference!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-30
Heisenberg - 14 May 2010 02:01 PM

Why, was that you who walked past us at Slim’s in 1991?

For the record, I love the Grateful Dead!

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  474
Joined  2009-06-08

I’m with you Heisey! Deadheads are a bunch of dirty hippies, posing as free living “off-the-gridders”, when actually they’re a bucnch of free loaders living off daddy’s stolen credit card!

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-21
dansheehan - 14 May 2010 02:19 PM

Why, was that you who walked past us at Slim’s in 1991?

For the record, I love the Grateful Dead!

I too, love the Dead!  But I see a rock n’ roll correlation instead of a contradiction (excepting that both shows were on the same night…)

I’ve turned several Deadhead friends onto TS; especially after they saw them live.  TS was an ultimate culmination of all rock’s greatest aspects; including those aspects that made the Dead so stellar.

I would have made a bet with the guy for a couple of joints.  Share a smoke with me, then come to the Trip show.  If you don’t totally dig it then I’ll give you back a couple of smokes…  I guarantee I would have ended up with an extra in my pocket post-show!

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-14

My sister saw Trip Shakespeare at Calhoun Beach Club or something like that in the summer of 86 I believe and said wow I just saw this great band called Trick Shakespeare! I then some songs on the show “Lowedown” on KFAI and loved what I heard. I asked for an received the Applehead Man LP for Hannukah of that year and saw Trip Shakespeare that winter for a rare all ages show at The Southern Theater along with TVBC and a band called MK Ultra I believe. It was fantastic. What struck me about TS and Appleheadman in particular was that nothing else sounded like them at all. Very unique harmonies, melodies, drum/bass/guitar parts, and lyrics that were very atypical of the time. Impressionistic and smart but really finely wrought - and I was really taken by the often non-rhyming lyrics (red metal archway, the washington bridge/big rims in the water underneathe a white sky…) Still my favorite of the TS cannon. Stop The Winter, Fangs, Washington Bridge…what weirdly compelling songs!

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-21
Spike - 14 May 2010 02:32 PM

I’m with you Heisey! Deadheads are a bunch of dirty hippies, posing as free living “off-the-gridders”, when actually they’re a bucnch of free loaders living off daddy’s stolen credit card!

Yes, yes, this is what the Deadheads turned into.  But, early Dead years, that would have been an amazing scene to be a part of.

Actually, I wonder if Trip would have stayed together; would I today be considered a TS-yuppie jetting across the seas for shows…?

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-01

What I always liked about trip was they didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. Maybe they did and I’m misinterpreting things…

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-21
Heisenberg - 14 May 2010 11:23 AM

I was 14. Napster was still sorta new. It was still free. I didnt know many bands and i was lookin for “new” music. Semisonic had been my favorite band a couple years before and I decided to try trip shakespeare. I searched and what came up???! The live Turtledove performance from some mountain or something where Matt says everyone has to stop stage diving. I got a bunch more, but forgot about them for a year or two while i filled my brain up with as many other artists as i could. But everytime i listened to trip shakeapeare i liked it even more. I didnt fully LOVE trip shakespeare till i was 18 or so. I still think its strange. Trip Shakespeare is so strange.

Heisey, you could be the ultimate TS fan.  You are also who Matt wrote for.

There have been so many references over the years describing TS music; Matt wanting it to be, “timeless”.  You are ultimate proof that he succeeded.

There are also several “first TS Tree” experiences posted over here:
http://thetwilighthours.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/87/

Robbie V.

P.S.  My (non-slingboxed) TiVo Stateside is still recording the “Breaking Bad” season.  I got an email that it was full so I asked a neighbor to go in and delete some other shows so that I could get the entire season.  Can’t wait to watch!!

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2009-06-12

I suspect that I’m not alone in often thinking that if Trip held on through grunge and was still around for the revival of the jam band scence—Phish in particular—that they could have capitalized on that movement quite healthily.  Whether they would have wanted to is another question altogether.

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-30
Spike - 14 May 2010 02:32 PM

Is that what Heisey was saying?  Didn’t catch that.  Anyway, as I see it, the Grateful Dead were a group of musicians, and I’m a music fan, and I like most of the music they made, and I don’t really care about the characters of the people that went to see them.  If you guys were all a bunch of grimy freeloaders, I would still be a Twilight Hours/Trip Shakespeare fan!

That said, at one Long Island venue, Nassau Coliseum, I had more than 1 bad experience with parasitic Dead fans who tried to rip me and my buddies off.  But maybe that’s more the character of lots of people on Long Island, NY than the “Dead heads.”

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-01
Robbie V - 14 May 2010 03:03 PM
Heisenberg - 14 May 2010 11:23 AM

Heisey, you could be the ultimate TS fan.  You are also who Matt wrote for.

There have been so many references over the years describing TS music; Matt wanting it to be, “timeless”.  You are ultimate proof that he succeeded.

There are also several “first TS Tree” experiences posted over here:
http://thetwilighthours.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/87/

Robbie V.

P.S.  My (non-slingboxed) TiVo Stateside is still recording the “Breaking Bad” season.  I got an email that it was full so I asked a neighbor to go in and delete some other shows so that I could get the entire season.  Can’t wait to watch!!

That’s cool. Ya know my buddy (and later band-mate) Dylan fell in love with Trip Shakespeare WAY faster than I did. When we were 18, we got really high one night and I turned off all the lights except some black lights an a strobe light and we listened to the live version of Applehead Man from epic renditions. Epic Renditions wasn’t out yet, this was a download from earlier. He was like “WOOOWW!”.  Good music is just good music. There have been others I’ve turned onto trip over here too. I know Trip Shakespeare isn’t just a regional thing or an early 90s or alternative thing. It is timeless. The best stuff always is. I never thought of trip as innovative or anything tho. They just did everything right.

Everyone I show Trip Shakespeare to likes it. It’s just hard to jump in since everything out of print! I do enjoy shocking people with what I put on. I don’t think they expect me to put something like “Diane” on.

About Breaking Bad. Have you seen the first two seasons?? I really think this 3rd season is gunna make a big splash at the Emmys. Maybe some golden globes. I’ve never seen TV that’s like that! It doesn’t insult your intelligence. It actually ASSUMES that you’re intelligent! Every aspect of that television show is artfully crafted.

But yea, the episodes from last week and the week before were ELECTRIFYING! This season is different in that the audience is a couple steps ahead of the protagonist so it’s like sitting on pins and needles. The concept for the whole show is just so insane I’m surprised they put it on TV. It’s going to go down as one of the greatest TV dramas of all time! You’re going to be really happy!

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-21

Fantastic TS comments.  I’d elaborate but we already do that plenty!

We’re huge BB fans; salivated over the first two seasons after not knowing what to expect.

We’re jumping over here in Europe to catch season 3.  We thought about downloading it (which would be easy) but we’re waiting to fly back to the US later in May and tucking in on the couch after jet lag to watch 9 or 10 episodes in a row!

1 of 2