I wrote a song!

Matt

Posted by Matt Thursday, June 24, 2010

Actually I wrote a song with the help of John and Dan.  And it took full decade. And about 600 hours of doting attention. But, honestly, I think it’s one the very best songs that I’ve ever helped to create, and I only think that about every third one.

So, this new song was born about a decade ago when John and I appeared in that mysterious movie that no one has seen, “The Last Word”. I can’t necessarily attest to the cinematic quality of the movie (It was panned in passing by Jane in the forum. Jane!), but the experience of doing this acting in front of a giant camera was so exhilarating to my ego that a melody sprouted in my mind and a whole string of excited words spilled out as well.

I brought this melody and and some of these disconnected phrases over to my brother Dan’s house. What I had at that point didn’t seem to make too much of an impression on him. In fact I’m not sure anyone sees the beauty that I see in this melody. But we did spend some time on it and we managed to attach a few chords that help to fit the verse together with the chorus.

Not long after the song’s inception I had the privilege of traveling to Italy, where I spent a stupidly huge amount of time not sitting under olive trees, but instead locked away in a little room writing and rewriting the words that would eventually be cut out of this song. I swear those words were truly well-crafted, groovy song doggerel. But they didn’t add up to anything. There’s no way I could tell you what they meant. That version of the song was called “Help me fly away”. It was very long.

John and I struggled for about a year arranging and rearranging that song. We even tried to record it for the album Stereo Night. But something was missing and the tune slipped off the album and off of the the set lists that John and I would write.

Not long ago, I found myself on another beautiful journey in Europe. Near the end of my stay, I finally took out the guitar that I had been lugging around. I went straight back to my old obsession, the melody I love. I rewrote the words in the way I think they were always meant to be – about something bigger than my joy at trying to be a movie actor.  I changed the key and made the tune of the middle section less confusing. Some people instinctively believe that all this editing and rejiggering - as I like to do - only ruins a creation. I’m sure that’s true for some writers. But I just can’t let a song go until it feels done. I just can’t do it.

I’m excited to hear what the band can make out of this reborn melody that makes me feel so proud, “Help me find the way”.

Enjoy this post? Bookmark and share with others.

Leave a comment See all news

20 Comments

If you’re going to scold me, get my name right. smile

Posted by jane 2010 06 24

I remember this song and really liked if before.  Did you have to change the story now??

I’m looking forward to your coming out party!

Posted by jane 2010 06 24

There’s not much that could make me happier than a post by Matt Wilson titled, “I wrote a song!” Glory be. I promise to love it.

Posted by ss 2010 06 24

Huzzah!  Fire up the cameras and digital recorders for the Stillwater show.

By the way, this is well done, Matt:

Posted by psh 2010 06 24

Cool!  BTW, when you co-write with Dan now, how do you decide who gets to record it?

Now that THAT’S out of the way, maybe we can get onto rehashing “Rebecca”...

Posted by Dr. Neau 2010 06 24

I remember Flying or whatever it’s called from the 3/4 Reunion show…I do like parts of that song but it was a little bit off and a little bit too long like it wandered aimlessly for awhile…like a 1000 piece puzzle with 3 missing pieces…it’s mostly done, but those missing pieces ruin the entire thing…I like the melody “steve mcqueen…could make it out….so…in conclusion I am eager to hear the finished project…feel free to showcase it for us to critique it properly…I think part of the problem from that 3/4 show is I couldnt’ follow the lyrics in any manner at all…like where the heck did “I think I see some flowers in your hands” come from…what does that mean..it was mish-mashed…of course it could all make sense if I could actually see the Flops movie….!!!

Posted by Kara 2010 06 24

I have always loved the Fly Away song since hearing it from the reunion show. I wondered why it was never heard from again. So to hear that it’s alive and well and getting even better… It’s like waking up and getting chills. Well, maybe not that, but it’s very exciting!

Posted by RyanOBoogie 2010 06 24

This is good news for fans of the band.  And in the bigger scheme of things, a good or interesting melody should not be taken lightly.  Monetarily, it may provide good temporary support for the writer, but in the long run a good melody transcends.  Who knows, years from now this melody may find a a driver, on a lonely road, shifting his AM (or perhaps IPOD) and find comfort in a good song such as this.

Also, not just everyone has the ability to create a good song.  I know I can’t, because the only time I came close, I was dreaming it.  I knew I was in a dream, and tried hard not to wake up until I memorized it.  In my heart it was just as good as green sleeves, the ole Irish tune.  But I never could remmeber the melody, and it is lost til this day.

So Matt, keep going strong. You have made a number of good ones over the years.  They will stand the test of time.

Posted by camper 2010 06 24

WTF??! No homemade demo to wet our panties?! You tease us!!!!!

Posted by Heisenberg 2010 06 25

I know that song, from the Flops shows, and I remember one curse filled liner-note rant about the painful proccess and laborious length. I’m glad you perservered.

Speaking of long term, heavily edited, re-worked projects, I much prefer the earlier version of Troublemaker to the recent bouncy incarnation I’ve heard performed live. I especially miss the lyric “troublemakers, funny to ourselves…” since it has become an insider quote for years, perfectly apt, and a favorite for me and my wife.

Now you’ve changed it, with all of your changey change ways! Changer!

Posted by Spike 2010 06 25

Now, you see, Heisenberg…You are the reason we Twilight Hours fans get a bad rap for our sonnet reciting, public radio listening, Saab driving, bifocal-wearing, elitist ways.

Get off your high horse, Mr. Classy!

Posted by jane 2010 06 26

Out we fly, hither and yon
To shout to the world
Matt’s got a song!

Posted by Tico 2010 06 27

This is a good change.  The song is improved.  I share some frustration with “changer.” Sometimes I think, “Why not just another song and call this one done?”  I ask this question less and less because it is pointless.  Not every change is for the better.  But this one is.

Posted by John 2010 06 27

...yeah, but when can we see the movie?

Posted by Kara 2010 06 27

I know exactly what you’re thinking as another example, John: AC/DC’s “Dirty Eyes” versus “Whole Lotta Rosie”.

Most people would listen to “Dirty Eyes” and think, “Wow, that rocks”.  But, Angus, Mal and Bon reworked it into the masterpiece that is “Whole Lotta Rosie”...and we’re all better for it.

Posted by Dr. Neau 2010 06 27

Matt,

Where in Europe did you find your inspiration?

Posted by verreauxi 2010 07 01

Matt…you sound really proud of this new song as if you’ve never wrote one before which strikes me as funny….of course you wrote a song…but if you are really proud of it, then it must be really special…

I gather the new chorus is “Help me find the way”....and I’m hoping the song will be revealed soonish and that I will get to see it performed….or, if not me…then via the youtubery foolery that I’ve come to rely upon…

Posted by Kara 2010 07 06

What the Heck???

Posted by Kara 2010 08 22

Since your filling us in on these mysterious new songs (and re-workings of hitherto unrecorded works…) what about that super-suave song you did with Planetmaker about the prettiest girl at the checkout line?

One more… What about your work on “Afternoon Song” as part of The Current project. It was outstanding!

Posted by jarant 2010 08 25

Please log in to submit comments.