We are pounding away at our songs. Getting them ready for YOU! Lake Harriet September 10.

John

Posted by John Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The band have put a full-court press on Matt.  We have him trapped in his back court and he’s responding with the full-length court, baseball-style pass of recording the new record THIS FALL!  You are my hero, Matt!  The people in the crowd are dumping their popcorn and cokes, holding their breath in anticipation of an inevitable SCORE!

No, let’s admit that it would be stupid to predict anything regarding our output.  Probably it will be three years before you actually SEE ANYTHING.  But the songs are shaping up nicely.  The band is pivoting in unison.  The sounds are going to be great.  The band is psyched. We are preparing for magic (I’m starting the Harry Potter series right now, so I’m all about MAGIC).  I can see no reason that we won’t make a record before Christmas.  But admittedly, I’m also ready to be disappointed.  Planning on it, actually.  Old habits and all that…

Prior to recording we’re going to play a show at The Lake Harriet Bandshell.  It’s a Music and Movie sort of thing.  First music and then, by the light of the moon, a movie.  You can all blame me for choosing a movie with subtitles, but perhaps you’ll want to raise me on your shoulders after seeing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  The entire movie is sung.  Every line.  Bring a blanket, and bring a hankie (it’s a weeper), but please, in the spirit of hopefulness, don’t bring an umbrella.

Can’t wait to see you all!

Enjoy this post? Bookmark and share with others.

Leave a comment See all news

9 Comments

I would love to get there before November… but the record is the priority right now.

Posted by John 2010 08 25

Geez, I’m just so happy you guys are still together!....and would be stunned to hear of a new record before the end of the year…..John, you have to be standing below the net to insure a slam dunk on this one….don’t let Matt dilly dally…we’re counting on you!

Posted by Kara 2010 08 25

Looking forward to the show, the film, and the record with great anticipation.  Have never seen Umbrellas, but understand the riot of colors is mind-altering, kind of like the old red, white, and blue ABA basketball.

Posted by psh 2010 08 25

Kara, your jibe is justified… very hard to juggle everything right now and we have dropped out of sight a bit.  But there are some things this fall that should be fun.  Not least the Brad Kern Benefit.

Posted by John 2010 08 25

Matt is seeker Harry, flying to seize the golden snitch (the album). You, John, are the Weasley twins, smacking the bludgers (perfectionism, endless changes..) out of the seeker’s way. Go TTH!

And aren’t you just wild about Harry? We promise to be wild about the next album. We are ALREADY wild about the next album.

Posted by ss 2010 08 25

A matchup zone against Matt might be more effective.  He’s pretty good at beating the press.  Pass pass pass.

And for the record, here is John’s character peer in various analogies:
Harry Potter: Hagrid
Star Wars: C3PO (sorry, John)
Meet the Parents: Jack Byrnes
Hawk the Slayer: Gort
Smurfs: Vanity Smurf
Entourage: Drama
Young Ones: Neil
The Associate: Sally Dugan

Posted by Dr. Neau 2010 08 26

I picture John as more of the Wookie character than c3po…..but maybe that’s just me….

Posted by Kara 2010 08 26

After witnessing John’s lovely reaction to his young adoring female fans at Mears Park this weekend, I have to correct your Smurfy assumptions about his vanity. There was no puffery, he was quite the gentleman. Is there a Gentleman Smurf? There should be. But in John’s case, I think he’d be FOUR apples tall, not three….

Posted by owlface 2010 08 28

Please log in to submit comments.